Colour Blast Dress

I hope every one of you have had wonderful holidays so far! With only a few days left until the end of 2013, I am posting somewhat of a conclusion of the year together with the last finished project.

The year 2013 has been life-changing for me. My engagement ended in a separation in spring, and just before the end of the year I got promoted at work. I also traveled to six different countries this year, the first trip being in May, which actually makes six countries in six months! In addition I met a bunch of new people plus some totally unexpected old acquaintances have reappeared in my life.

Sewing-wise, the highlight of the year was definitely being published in Burda German October edition.

I hope the new year will be as colourful as this one was, hopefully with better luck in personal matters, though 🙂

Here is the dress I made for our traditional Christmas party with the colleagues:

Image

DSC_0597

The pattern is Burda 06/2013, model 110, the photos are from burdastyle.com:

Image

110_technical_large

As you can see, my version has short sleeves, mainly because I didn’t have enough fabric but also because the dress is loud enough already.

The fabric is from the work trip to Zurich in September and when buying it, I didn’t have a clear vision of what to make of it. It is very elastic and there was also only one piece left so I was very limited in my options. But in my opinion, the crazy colour explosion and elasticity of the fabric demanded ruching and this is the reason why I picked this particular pattern.

I cut my regular size 38, and didn’t need to make any alterations. The pattern is quick and easy, the only difficult thing was that I was sewing it step by step for a few hours after work within a few days and got pretty tired.

I cannot say it is my favourite dress, but I am pleased that I managed to sew it up on time for the event and found a way to use the rather complicated fabric.

DSC_0587

The Christmas party itself was a lot of fun. It took place at an old manor and nearly everyone from our hospital was there, 100 people out of 120. We had a live band, tasty food and also danced a bit.

For me the event was also special, because in addition to my own dress, there were another two dresses made by me! Because we had a professional photographer taking the photos, I will have a photo of all the three dresses together to show in January.

I have already shown the one made for my dear colleague Kadi and here is the other one for Mari:

DSC_0582

DSC_0581 (1)

DSC_0577

DSC_0583

The pattern I used is the same as for my Paisley Dress, Burda 7739, view B. Because the main fabric is a rather thin cotton that I thought would start clinging to the body, I fully lined the dress.

I hope all of you had a year that brings a smile to your face when you think back to it and that the new one would be even better! Happy holidays!

Advertisements

Out Of The Closet: The Paisley Dress

The distance is just over 2000 km between Greece and Estonia, but I feel like I have landed on another planet, so big is the difference in the weather right now. It is not the temperature  that bothers me, but the lack of light. Seven years of sunlight can really spoil you, I thought, staring out of the window a few days ago and wondering when would it lighten up that day. It didn´t!

The change has been more difficult than I expected, although technically everything is going according to the plan. I have more or less settled in physically, but my mind hasn´t caught up yet and I left my heart in Athens, so the past week was emotionally very difficult.

My sewing machine seems to have survived the trip but the truth is I haven´t tested it yet. At least nothing is visibly wrong and I hope to commence sewing pretty soon.

In the meanwhile, here is a dress I made before starting this blog:

The pattern I used is Burda 7739, view B:

It is a relatively easy pattern, maybe only the collar could cause some trouble to a beginner. When I made the dress, it was the first time for me to make side seam pockets (or any pockets for that matter!) and the lesson I learned was that they are kind of pointless. After that, I have skipped such pockets on anything I make. (Although right now I am gathering my composure to make a COAT and the pattern I have chosen calls for such pockets. I have a feeling that on a coat they are not as pointless, but still haven´t made up my mind.)

I cut size 38, my regular Burda size, but I guess I should have tapered to 36 at the waist, since it is a bit wide at this point. I usually add a belt to fix that.

Usually when I get to the point where I have to insert sleeves, I get a bit nervous, because they can cause a lot of trouble. Thanks to the gathering on these sleeves, they were really easy to insert and the fit was fine from the first try.

I really like the fabric – it is viscose, if I remember correctly, not cotton. It wrinkles quite easily, but the colours in the paisley print make it super easy to match with nearly anything. Today I wore it with my blue suede over-the-knee boots, although in the photos I am wearing the dark green suede ankle boots. Both are a great match. The belt I usually wear with this dress is dark purple, also a match.

When packing my stuff in Athens, I discovered that for some reason I still have enough left of this fabric to make a dress or a top. I guess back then I thought that when I liked it once, I would want to use it for another project as well, but I know now that I find using the same fabric more than once extremely boring.

The really nice part of being in Estonia is the luxury of calling my old friends on a whim and arranging to go for a drink, which is precisely what I did now! Have a fun Saturday night, everyone!